A bomb threat shut down a significant portion of Southern Hoboken Saturday night into Sunday morning, though Â authorities deemed the roads safe to re-open to traffic around 3 a.m., according to the city of Hoboken’s official Facebook and Twitter pages.Â
By John Heinis/Hudson County View
Residents and visitors alike complained about nearly impossible driving conditions in Southern Hoboken beginning at about 9 p.m. Saturday night, with police shutting down large stretches of Observer Highway, Willow Avenue and Newark Street.
Early Sunday morning, the city of Hoboken provided a detailed Facebook update that said police were taking the necessary precautions to respond to a bomb threat.
“Based on a phone call made by an individual to the Hoboken Police Department, multiple law enforcement agencies responded to a bomb threat in southern Hoboken,” the post says.
“Police are taking the call seriously and certain roads were closed as a precaution to ensure the safety of the community. A series of checks of the building have proved negative, but law enforcement is still investigating the call. Additional information regarding this situation will be provided as soon as possible.”
Specifically, Observer Highway from Park Avenue to the intersection to Henderson Street and Marin Boulevard, Willow Avenue from First Street to Observer Highway and Newark Street from Jefferson Street to Willow Avenue were all shut down as the Hoboken police, fire, EMS and hazmat units responded to the call.
At around 3 a.m., Hoboken’s official Twitter page revealed that all the closed roads had been reopened.
Furthermore, Hoboken Police Chief Kenneth Ferrante provided minimal details on what the “unusual scene” at 66 Willow Ave consisted of last night, also via Twitter.