No unvaccinated patrons will be allowed in Hoboken bars on Saturday due to a vaccine mandate implemented ahead of SantaCon.
Mayor Ravi Bhalla and Office of Emergency Management Coordinator Sgt. William Montanez signed an executive order that says proof of vaccination must be shown to enter local bars this Saturday or Sunday.
OEM will be in charge of overseeing compliance of the order and any bar or establishment in violation may be subject to immediate closure, liquor license revocation, or disciplinary suspension.
“If you’re not vaccinated, our message is simple: don’t bother participating in a bar crawl this weekend,” Bhalla said in a statement.
All patrons must meet the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) definition of being fully vaccinated and present either a vaccination card, the Dockett mobile app, New York City COVID Safe App, or the Excelsior Pass that can be corroborated with proof of identification.
Bar owners will be in charge of asking for proof of full vaccination and anyone who does not shall be denied entry, according to the executive order, which ends at 6 a.m. on Sunday.
SantaCon is one of the Mile Square City’s most infamous bar crawls, though has become more tepid in recent memory, with just eight arrested in 2019 (down from 14 in 2018) and the event being cancelled all together last year due to COVID-19 concerns.