Bayonne firefighters quickly extinguish one-alarm kitchen blaze in apartment unit


Bayonne firefighters quickly extinguished a one-alarm kitchen blaze yesterday that started in an apartment unit of a building on John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Fire Chief Keith Weaver said.

Photo courtesy of the Bayonne Office of Emergency Management.

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

At approximately 11:40 a.m., the Bayonne Fire Department was dispatched to 1084 JFK Blvd. on a report of ‚Äúsmoke from an apartment,” Weaver said in a statement.

Arriving companies to the four-story multiple unit apartment building found a kitchen fire in a fourth floor apartment. The fire, which originated on the stove, spread into a wall.

Firefighters used a hand line to douse the blaze, which was brought under control at 12:03 p.m. All occupants of the building were temporarily evacuated, however, all were able to return home shortly after the fire was under control.

“A fire investigation is underway, however, at this time the fire appears to be accidental in nature,” Weaver added.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/hcvcp/public_html/wp-content/themes/Hudson County View/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 353