Police: Hoboken man sends cop to hospital after fight ensues during drug arrest


A Hoboken man sent a local police officer to the hospital after getting into a physical altercation with him shortly after he was caught with drugs, authorities said.

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

Darnell Gleason, 36, of Hoboken, was charged with possession with intent to distribute a controlled dangerous substance, PWITD CDS within 1,000 feet of a School, PWITD CDS within 500 feet of public housing, employing a juvenile in a CDS distribution scheme, burglary with bodily injury, resisting arrest with force, hindering apprehension, aggravated assault on a police officer, endangering the welfare of a child and obstruction, according to Police Det. Sgt. Joseph Leonard.

At approximately 5:05 p.m. last night, Police Officers’s Jalen Williams and Marc Lombardi were conducting a quality of life check of 320 Jackson St.. They encountered Gleason in the stair well apparently trying to hide something in his pants, officials said.

The arrestee saw the officers and began to run. The officers ordered him to stop, but he did not heed their commands. Williams was eventually able to chase down Gleason and grab him, police said.

As a result, Gleason began to swing at the officer and tried to twist free of his hold, which he was eventually able to do after injuring Williams. The officers grabbed the arrestee again outside the building where he continues to resist their control.

During the struggle, Gleason started throwing items from his pockets into the courtyard and a crowd started to form. The arrestee then took a bag of suspected CDS and threw it to a juvenile in the courtyard.

Authorities said the juvenile then fled from the area, causing additional officers to arrive and finally gain control of Gleason, handcuff him and transport to headquarters.

Members of the Investigations Bureau and Street Crimes Unit later identify and locate the juvenile that fled the area. The juvenile, 17 of Hoboken, was processed accordingly at police headquarters while a guardian was present, who the minor was eventually released to.

The arrestee was processed on a warrant for 10 charges in total. Three of the charges are 2nd degree offenses, with each charge being punishable by up to ten years imprisonment and $1,500,000 in fines.

Finally, Gleason was remanded to the Hudson County Rehabilitation Facility, police said.

According to Police Chief Kenneth Ferrante, the incident required Williams to receive medical treatment at the Hoboken Medical Center.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/hcvcp/public_html/wp-content/themes/Hudson County View/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 353