HHI Heliport’s Kearny Municipal Court zoning use hearing adjourned until March

0

Those seeking to “stop the chop” or end non-essential helicopter traffic in Hudson County will have to wait another month, as HHI Heliport’s zoning use permit hearing in Kearny Municipal Court was adjourned until March earlier today.

Photo via hhiheliport.com.

By Dan Israel/Hudson County View

The hearing, which had a 10:30 a.m. start time, was ultimately adjourned in the early afternoon to see if the company and the town could reach a settlement outside of court, Kearny Municipal Court Judge Thomas McKeon told reporters on Thursday.

According to McKeon, the next hearing would be rescheduled in “about 30 days.” This is the second postponement of this case in municipal court, with the first hearing initially set for December.

“Today’s postponement is another disappointment for our constituents who are faced with the constant disruption of rampant helicopter flights over Jersey City and Hoboken,” Hudson County Executive Craig Guy said in a statement.

“While today’s decision is frustrating, I will continue working with my partners in government – including Congressman Rob Menendez and State Senator Raj Mukherji – to work toward a solution that brings relief to our residents.”

Kearny Mayor Carol Jean Doyle declined to comment, citing pending litigation.

Recently, the Safe Skies Coalition – part of Stop The Chop NY NJ, a non-profit dedicated to eliminating non-essential helicopter traffic – praised Guy and the Hudson County Board of Commissioners for previously approving resolutions in support of state and federal legislation seeking to reign in non-essential helicopter traffic.

It was at the January 26th board of commissioners meeting where today’s Kearny Municipal Court meeting came to light, as HCV first reported.

While activists and legislators alike have been looking to ban tourist helicopter operations in Hudson County for over a decade, the movement sprung to life again after a fatal crash in the Hudson River last April.

The crash, which occurred near the Holland Tunnel in Jersey City, claimed six lives after the New York Helicopter Tours – which has since ceased operations – aircraft started “falling apart” in midair and did a nosedive into the water below.

By May, Doyle and Guy had met with HHI Heliport’s CEO Jeff Hyman to discuss quality of life issues relating to the helicopter activity at the facility, after resident concerns flooded online on social media and in person at municipal government meetings.

After the meeting, in June, Hyman pledged to reduce helicopter flights working with Guy and the county while doing so.

However, by July, nothing had progressed, prompting Guy and Menendez to double down in search for a resolve more than three months after the fatal helicopter tragedy in the river.

In September, things came to a head when it became clear that non-essential helicopter traffic was not slowing down out of the facility and the aforementioned violation was issued.

The violation notice says that a failure to comply with the cited zoning resolution could necessitate resubmitting an application for approval.

Guy and U.S. Rep. Rob Menendez (D-8) applauded Kearny, under the direction of Mayor Carol Jean Doyle, for issuing a zoning violation to HHI Heliport back in September, also as HCV first reported.

LEAVE A REPLY