UPDATED: Body of 24-year-old man who went missing in Hoboken recovered


Hoboken Police Chief Kenneth Ferrante confirmed that Matthew Genovese’s body was recovered about 50 feet off of Pier A around 1:25 p.m. this afternoon.


Less than a day after the Hoboken Police Department called on the public to help find a 24-year-old man that went missing in the city on Saturday night, multiple law enforcement sources confirmed that his body has been recovered.

Matthew Genovese, 24, went missing sometime between 10:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. on Saturday night, telling a group of friends he would be walking home from McSwiggan’s Pub on 1st Street, police said.

Within the past hour, multiple law enforcement sources, who spoke under the condition of anonymity since they aren’t authorized to speak on the matter,  told Hudson County View that Genovese’s body has been recovered today.

Ferrante hosted a press conference that began at around 4:45 p.m. inside police headquarters, located at 106 Hudson St., to shed some light on the situation.

He explained that Genovese had been living in Hoboken for about a year, grew up in the Bronx and worked on Wall Street. Friends and family became increasingly concerned when he did not show up at work Monday morning.

During the course of their investigation, which included reviewing surveillance footage and interviewing patrons at McSwiggan’s Pub, they determined Genovese headed east upon leaving the bar around 11:33 p.m. Saturday.

Then, just after midnight today, an officer discovered his wallet and keys in a mound of snow on the south walkway of Pier A.

NYPD Harbor Patrol and Aviation, as well as the NJ Transit Police, then aided Hoboken authorities in searching for Genovese this morning.

At approximately 1:25 p.m. this afternoon, a diver discovered a body approximately 50 feet south of the Pier A walkway.

The body was identified as Genovese and while the chief said there did not appear to be any signs of foul play, that would be up to the NJ Medical Examiner’s Office to decide – although the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office has now taken over the investigation.

Ferrante said he did not have any details regarding the circumstances of how Genovese entered the water.

In March 2014, Andrew Jarzyk, a 27-year-old Hoboken resident, went missing after a night out with friends at the West Five Supper Club. His body was recovered one month later, per NBC New York.

Ferrante also thanked the Hoboken police detectives, as well as the NYPD, the New Jersey Stage Police, the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office, NJ Transit Police, the NJ Medical Examiner’s Office and Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer for meeting with Genovese family after they learned of Matthew’s death.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/hcvcp/public_html/wp-content/themes/Hudson County View/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 353


  1. The Hoboken said they were going to fix the TV cameras on Pier A after they found the other young man who went missing last year and a NYC news reporter said they were not working.
    They should have video of exactly what happened.

  2. @ Angelo, I respectfully disagree with you.

    First, my condolences and prayers are with the family and friends of the deceased.

    Second, Chief Ferrante is an honest and honorable man and would have handled this situation the same had it been an indigent person of color.