An unattended candle led to a small brush fire at the Bayonne Vietnam Memorial early this morning, Fire Chief Keith Weaver said.
By John Heinis/Hudson County View
“Bayonne Fire Department responded to a report of a small brush fire at approximately 6 a.m. this morning at the Vietnam Memorial on 1st Street and Trask Ave,” Weaver said in a statement.
“Arriving units found a small fire which was extinguished within moments.”
He added that Bayonne fire investigators, along with Bayonne police detectives, conducted an investigation and found the cause to be accidental due to an unattended candle.
“We request that all residents never leave any lit candle unattended, even outdoors. In the case of memorials, battery operated candles are a much better option to safely pay tribute,” Weaver concluded.