Jersey City police officer who fatally shot mentally ill man armed with knife ID’ed


The Jersey City police officer who fatally shot a mentally ill man armed with a knife has been identified by the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office, the agency investigating the incident.

File photo.

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

According to the preliminary investigation, emergency medical services responded to Andrew Jerome Washington’s residence on Randolph Avenue shortly after 2:15 p.m. yesterday, the AG’s office said in a statement this evening.

Upon arrival, they requested the assistance of the Jersey City Police Department.

At approximately 2:29 p.m., Jersey City patrol officers arrived and attempted to communicate with Washington. He refused to open his apartment door and remained inside.

Officers attempted to establish a line of communication with hum to no avail. Around this time, patrol officers then requested the Jersey City Emergency Services Unit (ESU).

At approximately 2:56 p.m., ESU officers arrived on scene. They attempted to communicate with Washington through the closed apartment door for more than 30 minutes.

At approximately 3:28 p.m., ESU members forced open the door to Washington’s apartment and he immediately advanced toward the officers in the hallway/stairwell.

ESU Officer Felix DeJesus deployed a Conducted Energy Device, or stun gun, and ESU Officer Stephen Gigante discharged his service weapon, striking Washington twice. At the scene, law enforcement recovered a knife near Washington.

Washington was treated by EMS, who transported him to Jersey City Medical Center, where he was pronounced deceased at 4:47 pm.

Both officers fired their service weapons during the December 10th, 2019 domestic terrorist shooting on a kosher deli. A grand jury declined to charged them and 10 of their colleagues back in November 2021.

The narrative from the AG’s office largely echoes what Mayor Steven Fulop and Public Safety Director James Shea said at a press conference earlier today, indicating that Washington, who had a history of mental illness, was shot after charging officers with a knife.

Fulop also called on the AG’s office to release the police body camera footage of the incident to be released as soon as possible, particularly given that there were no witnesses.

Washington’s family is hosting a vigil tomorrow evening at 6 p.m. at his former home on 256 Randolph Ave.

In wake of the fatality, Ward E Councilman James Solomon, Ward F Council Frank “Educational” Gilmore, and Hudson County Commissioner Bill O’Dea (D-2) have all called on the city to implement a crisis intervention program that received council approval last year.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/hcvcp/public_html/wp-content/themes/Hudson County View/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 353


  1. They didn’t have to kill him! They should have maced him, or even hit with the baton they carry. A knife weapon could have been taken away in a different way! These cops have issues of their own they need to deal with, instead of killing someone with a mental issue! These cops are bullies themselves, once they get a badge they think they can do whatever they want! Some cops are good but majority are just as bad as criminals! It’s just so sad for these families who been begging for help days before this crisis happened!