Hudson County jury finds Jersey City man guilty of murdering 20-year-old in 2017


A Hudson County jury found a Jersey City man guilty of fatally shooting a 20-year-old man in 2017 last week, with a co-defendant found guilty on conspiracy to commit murder.

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

Marquise Brown, 25, of Jersey City, was found guilty by a Hudson County jury on all counts related to the fatal shooting of Amir Pleasant on Dwight Street in Jersey City on April 29, 2017 on Friday, Hudson County Prosecutor Esther Suarez announced.

Brown was found guilty of murder, possession of a weapon (handgun) for an Unlawful purpose, unlawful possession of a weapon (handgun), and conspiracy to commit murder.

He faces 30 years to life in state prison on the murder conviction.

Co-defendant Rashad Exum, 26, of Jersey City, was found guilty of conspiracy to commit
murder, a first-degree crime. He faces 10 to 20 years in state prison for the conviction and may be extended-term eligible based on prior convictions.

Additionally, co-defendant, Jahi Beatty, 21, of Jersey City was found guilty of two counts of hindering apprehension or prosecution.

On April 29th, Jersey City police officers responded to the intersection of Grand Street and
Jersey Avenue on a report of a motor vehicle accident.

The responding officers found the driver of the crashed vehicle, Pleasant, to be unconscious and he was pronounced dead a short while later at Jersey City Medical Center.

The Regional Medical Examiner’s Office determined the cause of death to be gunshot wounds to his head and torso.

During the course of the trial, the state presented evidence establishing that while Pleasant was sitting in his car in the area of 22 Dwight St., Brown walked up to the car and shot Pleasant multiple times.

Pleasant then drove his vehicle to the intersection of Grand Street and Jersey Avenue where he was found unconscious in his crashed vehicle.

The state was represented by Assistant Prosecutor Leonardo Rinaldi from the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office, while the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office Homicide Unit and the Jersey City Police Department investigated the case.

Additionally, Hudson County Superior Court Judge Sheila Venable presided over the matter.