Police: Two arrested in Hoboken for shots fired incident with no injuries last night


Two arrests were made following a shots fired incident, which yielded no injuries, near the intersection of 5th Avenue and Jackson Street in Hoboken last night, police said.

By Mike Montemarano and John Heinis/Hudson County View

“Fortunately, no one was hit by any bullets. @HobokenPD officers on the scene did not fire their weapons. They made one arrest at the scene and recovered one gun,” Police Chief Kenneth Ferrante tweeted just after midnight.

Thomas Bates, 32, and Malik High, 31, both of Hoboken, were charged with aggravated assault, resisting arrest, possession of weapon for an unlawful purpose, unlawful possession of weapon, and certain person not to have a weapon, according to Det. Lt. Danilo Cabrera.

Last night at about 10:32 p.m., Hoboken police officers were dispatched on a reported gunshot in the area of 5th and Jackson Street.

Officers Tyrone Huggins and Michael Aviles were in the area of 508 Jackson Street investigating the call when they observed a male identified as Bates. He was observed in the area of 501 Marshall Dr. pacing back and forth near a group as he pulled an object identified as a handgun out of his pocket, authorities said.

Huggins and Aviles approached Bates and shouted commands. Bates did not comply with their orders and ran from the officers, initiating a foot pursuit. Bates was chased until he  fell to the ground, officials said.

As Bates fell, the gun he was in possession discharged a single round. No one was hit from this discharged round and no officer discharged their weapon. Huggins and  Aviles were able to safely place Bates under arrest and secure the handgun.

Bates was then transported to the hospital, and after being cleared, to Hoboken Police Headquarters.

He ultimately had his charges placed on a warrant and he was transported to the Hudson County Jail.

Additionally, Det. Sgt. William Collins, along with Dets. Adam Colon and  John Quinones were tasked to investigate the above incident. The investigation revealed a second male was involved.

At about 10:31 p.m., it was learned that High was observed in front of 501 Marshall Dr. removing a handgun from his pocket, aimed the gun straight up into the air, and discharged a single round, police said.

A spent casing was later found by Collins in the area High was observed discharging the handgun. This discharged round initiated the call for police.

This morning at about 11:30 a.m., Sgt. David Olivera located High in the area of 3rd and Jackson Street. Olivera notified headquarters, while Officers Frank Francolino and Anthony Rutkowski responded as backup.

They were able to apprehend High without incident. High was transported to police headquarters and had his charges place don a warrant before being transported to the Hudson County Jail.

“An outstanding collaboration of the uniformed officers on scene last night, the detectives who investigated this overnight, and the officers who just made the second arrest, brought us two arrests without anyone (civilian, officers, or suspects) being injured,” Ferrante added on Twitter.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/hcvcp/public_html/wp-content/themes/Hudson County View/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 353