Duo caught trying to break into Secaucus home caught on foot by authorities in North Bergen


A duo caught trying to break into a Secaucus home yesterday afternoon fled the scene in a stolen car, eventually getting captured after a foot pursuit ensued in North Bergen, police said.

Jeffrey Sanders (left) and Dwayne Thorpe. Photos courtesy of the Secaucus Police Department.

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

Jeffery Sanders, 51, of Montclair, and Dwayne Thorpe, 50, of Garfield, were each charged with burglary, conspiracy to commit burglary, resisting arrest and possession of burglar’s tools, according to Secaucus Police Capt. Dennis Miller.

Additionally, Thorpe, the driver of the pursued vehicle, was charged with eluding, burglary for unlawfully entering a Newkirk Avenue residence and receiving stolen property, while Sanders also had four separate burglary warrants for his arrest out of Edison, authorities said.

Yesterday at approximately 1:42 p.m., the Secaucus Police Department received a 911 call
from a frantic resident on the 200th block of Moller Street who stated that two men were breaking into her home.

The burglars jumped into their getaway vehicle, which was later determined to be stolen out of Paterson, and fled south on County Avenue toward the New Jersey Turnpike. The resident of the home was not injured during this exchange, officials said.

During this time, Lt. Martin Moreda was monitoring the radio broadcast of the burglary in progress and observed the suspect vehicle fleeing toward exit 15X of the New Jersey Turnpike. Moreda attempted to stop the vehicle, however, they refused, and led to a high-speed pursuit, police said.

The pursuit continued onto the New Jersey Turnpike eastern spur to 495 East and eventually onto the 30th Street ramp in North Bergen where the fleeing vehicle encountered grid locked traffic.

During the pursuit, evidence of the crime was being discarded from the vehicle, which was later recovered. The occupants finally exited the vehicle and fled on foot toward 28th Street, still in North Bergen, authorities said.

Sanders was apprehended at this location, while Thorpe continued to flee on 28th Street through backyards. With the assistance of the New Jersey State Police, North Bergen and Union City Police Departments, as well as the Hudson County Sheriff’s Office, a perimeter was established around the surrounding blocks.

Ultimately, Thorpe  unlawfully entered an apartment building on the 2600th block of Newkirk Avenue in North Bergen in an attempt to evade capture, police said.

Officers from the Secaucus and North Bergen Police Departments and the sheriff’s office were able to take Thorpe into custody after locating him on the roof of that residence, authorities said.

Additionally, Secaucus police thanked the New Jersey State Police, Hudson County Sheriff’s Office, North Bergen and Union City Police Departments for their assistance in apprehending Sanders and Thorpe.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/hcvcp/public_html/wp-content/themes/Hudson County View/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 353