North Bergen officials recognized youth and high school wrestling champions and place winners with proclamations at this morning’s board of commissioners meeting.
By John Heinis/Hudson County View
State Senator (D-32)/North Bergen Mayor Nick Sacco and the commissioners were joined by Superintendent of Schools George Solter, parents, and coaches earlier today.
“The hard work that these student athletes put in to reach their goals cannot be overstated,” Sacco said in a statement.
“They should be extremely proud of their accomplishments because the Township of North Bergen certainly is and I look forward to seeing what else they achieve in the years to come.”
Headlining the program was two-time State Champion Amanda Pace, who received a proclamation from the Mayor and Board of Commissioners for her first place finish at the NJSIAA/Rothman Orthopaedics State Wrestling Championships at Phillipsburg High School on February 20th.
This was the high school senior’s second state title win in addition to being a four-time state finalist and three-time regional champion.
Other honorees included State Champions Luis Rabelo and Robert Rodriguez for their first place finishes at the 2022 USAW-NJ Kids Scholastic State Championship, as well as high school junior Joshua Palacio for his 2nd place finish at the NJSIAA/Rothman Orthopaedics State Wrestling Championships.
A number of other students were also recognized for their performances including:
• Josiah Berrera – 8th place – Junior 128 lbs
• Ivan Briones – 6th place – Novice 145 lbs
• Ryan Rodriguez – 6th place – Novice 90 lbs
• Alysa Patel – 3rd place – 14U 79 lbs
• Gianni Belluardo – Novice 60 lbs
• Ronnie Rodriguez – Junior 100 lbs
• George Tamar – Junior 128 lbs
• Julian Contreras – Intermediate 152 lbs
• David Vazquez – Intermediate 105 lbs
• Alfredo Bermudez – Intermediate 190 lbs
• Nathanial Hernandez – Intermediate 75 lbs
Also in attendance were High School Wrestling Head Coach Jerry Maietta, as well as elementary wrestling coaches Angel Quinones, Rob Rodriguez, and Lou Rabelo.