By John Heinis/Hudson County View
“At approximately 6:30 AM this morning, employees at the North Hudson Sewage Authority discovered a leaking pipe inside a building on the Authority’s premises at 1600 Adams St.,” NHSA Executive Director Dr. Richard Wolff said in a statement.
“The pipe valve was immediately shut off, and a small amount, approximately one gallon, of parasitic acid (a commercial form of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide) leaked onto the building floor.”
Wolff continued to say that the Hoboken Fire Department, as well as the Jersey City Hazmat division of their fire department, then arrived and established a perimeter around the NHSA, a small portion of the Light Rail station and the PSE&G substation.
“No hazardous materials escaped the building either in liquid or vapor form. The fire departments determined that at no time were residents of either Hoboken or Weehawken in any danger from the small contained spill.”
While the spill briefly disrupted Light Rail service, no injuries were reported and “there was no threat to public health,” added Wolff, thanking the Hoboken and Jersey City firefighters for their efforts.