Prosecutor: Woman involved in drunken Jersey City crash that injured two cops faces new charge


A woman that was allegedly driving drunk during a crash that injured two police officers on Route 139 in Jersey City is facing a new charge for the April incident, Hudson County Prosecutor Esther Suarez announced.

Amandeep Tiwana. Inset photo courtesy of the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office.

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

A Queens woman who critically injured a Port Authority police officer in April after striking
him with her vehicle while driving while intoxicated has been additionally charged with assault by auto for also injuring a Jersey City police officer, Suarez said in a statement.

Amandeep Tiwana, 27, of Flushing, New York, who is being held at the Hudson County
Correctional Center in Kearny, was charged yesterday with assault by auto, a third-degree crime.

Tiwana was previously charged with driving while intoxicated, along with multiple motor vehicle offenses including reckless driving, speeding, making an unsafe lane change, failure to obey traffic restrictions during emergency conditions, disregard of officers directing traffic, and committing a disorderly act during an emergency.

In addition to being over the legal alcohol limit, Hudson County Regional Collision Unit
investigators believe Tiwana was traveling at an excessive rate of speed.

On Tuesday, April 28th, just after 12:30 a.m., the Jersey City Police Department responded
to a motor vehicle accident in which the driver, a 32-year-old New York woman, overturned her vehicle on eastbound Route 139 (depressed highway).

The driver was transported to the Jersey City Medical Center with minor injuries.

While Port Authority Police Officer Peter Siano and three Jersey City Police Officers were securing the initial crash scene and doing traffic control, Tiwana – who was heading eastbound on Route 139 – struck the median divider, a JCPD radio car, and Siano, causing
serious bodily injuries.

Jersey City Police Officer David Valente was also injured as a result of the crash, causing injuries to his left hand, officials said.

Siano has since recovered and received a hero’s welcome when leaving a physical rehabilitation center last month.