Police: Man initially refuses to pull over for Hoboken cops before getting charged with DWI


A man initially refused to pull over for Hoboken police officers late last night before being charged with eluding, driving while intoxicated, and other traffic violations, authorities said.

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

Mohammed Chaudhry, 37, of Jersey City, was charged with eluding, DWI, refusal to submit a breath sample, failure to observe a traffic signal, and failure to stop at a posted stop sign, according to Police Det. Lt. Danilo Cabrera.

Yesterday evening at approximately 10:35 p.m., Police Officer Enrico Gnassi observed a white Lexus traveling east on First Street and failed to stop at a red light at the intersection of First and Monroe Streets.

As a result, Gnassi pulled behind the Lexus and activated his lights and sirens.

The driver disregarded Gnassi’s visual and audible commands to stop and continued driving eastbound on First Street. The vehicle then turned right onto Grand Street and then made another right onto Newark Street – ignoring a stop sign in the process, officials said.

The vehicle continued on Newark Street, where it then turned right onto Adam Street and then another right at First Street, driving through yet another stop sign. Gnassi continued to follow the vehicle while driving within the posted speed limit, police said.

The vehicle continued eastbound on First Street and then southbound onto Willow Avenue, before finally pulling over in the area of Newark and Willow Avenue. Sgt. Nicholas Burke and Police Officer Michael Straten arrived as backup.

Gnassi approached the driver and suspected the operator was under the influence of alcohol. Sgt. Edward Sellick then arrived and performed a field sobriety test.

The driver was identified as Chaudhry and upon completion of the field sobriety test, Sellick determined that Mohammed was unable to operate a motor vehicle safely. Mohammed was placed under arrest and transported to headquarters for processing.

At headquarters, Mohammed refused to submit a breath sample, and as a result, was issued a summons for refusal.

Mohammed was given a court date after processing and released to a responsible party, authorities said.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/hcvcp/public_html/wp-content/themes/Hudson County View/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 353