Police: Man arrested in Hoboken for stealing $4k in cosmetics, $100 in alcohol, in 3 hours


A man was arrested in Hoboken three separate times yesterday for stealing around $4,000 in cosmetics and around $100 in alcohol in just a three-hour time span, police said.

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

Michael Contey, 26, of Jersey City, was charged with robbery, burglary, shoplifting, theft, possession of a controlled dangerous substance (heroin), and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to Police Det. Sgt. Jonathan Mecka.

Between 3 and 4 p.m., CVS reported that the man later identified as Contey attempted to steal approximately $3,000 dollars worth of cosmetics. This led to him later being charged with shoplifting.

Then, at approximately 6 p., police were dispatched to a liquor store located near the intersection of 7th Street and Park Avenue. Upon arriving, the employee explained that a man entered their storage room through the side entrance.

Once inside, he was confronted by the owner’s barking dogs. This alerted the employee, who made his way to the storage room. At this time, Contey was seen running out of the storage room with the two dogs chasing him.

One of the employees joined the dogs and chased Contey several blocks away before losing sight of him. The alcohol he attempted to take was worth approximately $100 dollars, and as a result, he was charged with burglary.

Finally, at approximately 6:35 p.m., officers responded to Walgreens on the report of a robbery. Upon arriving, the officers were able to stop the robber, who was identified as Contey.

According to the caller, Contey was seen shoplifting approximately $1,000 worth of cosmetics. As he was attempting to leave without paying, he was confronted by Walgreens employees.

At that time, Contey attempted to fight his way out of the store. Although the incident became physical, no one was injured. The on-scene investigation resulted in Contey being arrested for Robbery.

During search incident to arrest, officers also recovered heroin and drug paraphernalia.

All three incidents resulted in charges being placed on a warrant, and after the arrest process was complete, he was transported to Hudson County Correctional Facility, authorities said.