Police: Hoboken man tries to fight two cops after getting caught with drugs


A Hoboken man was arrested last night after he tried to fight two police officers after getting caught with drugs outside of a local housing authority building, authorities said.

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

Mark Willis 54, from Hoboken, was charged with aggravated assault on police officer, resisting arrest with force, possession of a weapon (knife) for unlawful use, unlawful possession of a weapon, certain persons not to possess weapons, defiant trespassing, use of a controlled dangerous substance (heroin), and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to Police Det. Lt. Danilo Cabrera.

On Sunday, at around 9:50 p.m., Officers Enrico Gnassi and Harold Milne located Willis trespassing on the third floor of 321 Harrison St.

They observed Willis exhaling a cloud of smoke and found empty folds of paper, believed to be empty folds of heroin, in the immediate area of where Willis was standing. Both officers Gnassi informed Willis that he was being placed under arrest for trespassing, authorities said.

Upon informing Willis that he was being placed under arrest, Willis tried to run through Milne and Gnassi. A struggle ensued and all three men ended up on the ground. As the officers were attempting to gain control of Willis, he hit Milne above the right eye and struck Gnassi in the rib area, officials said.

During the struggle, Milne observed a knife sticking out of a satchel bag Willis was carrying. Milne was able to retrieve the knife and temporarily secured it.

Officers were able to handcuff Willis and he was eventually transported to headquarters were he was processed on the above charges.

A search of Willis led to the recovery of a broken pen with no ink cartridge and a metal wire was, both believed to be drug paraphernalia. The charges went on a warrant and Willis was transported to the Hudson County Jail, police said.

Gnassi was treated by the Hoboken Volunteer Ambulance, but was not transported to the hospital. Milne was transported to the hospital and later released and medically cleared to return back to duty, authorities said.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/hcvcp/public_html/wp-content/themes/Hudson County View/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 353