Police: Hoboken man arrested twice in 2 weeks for throwing bottles, being combative with cops


A Hoboken man was arrested twice in two weeks: once for throwing bottles at a police officer, and another for being combative with police at the hospital as they tried to arrest him on a warrant, authorities said.

Hakeem High. Facebook photo.

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

Hakeem High, 29, and Bilal Gilyard, 19, both of Hoboken, were charged with aggravated assault, possession of weapon for an unlawful purpose, unlawful possession of weapons, and rioting, according to Det. Lt Danilo Cabrera.

On Saturday, May 30th, at around 10:59 p.m., Officer Shelby Seickendick was pulled over in her marked patrol car and was speaking to a resident of the Hoboken Housing Authority, when she heard an unknown individual within a group say that they were going to start a riot.

The resident Seickendick was talking to walked away, and within seconds, someone from the group threw a glass bottle at him, landing by her driver’s side door. Seickendick pulled away and was told by her command to stay out of the area for the time being.

The officer was not injured and no further incident was reported from the group. Det. Michael Losurdo and Officer Ryan Houghton immediately investigated the incident and identified the two men involved.

Losurdo and Houghton, through their investigation, learned that two glass bottles were thrown at Seickendick by two different men. The first man identified was High and the second man was identified as Gilyard. Their charges were placed on a warrant.

Then, on June 13th, at about 4:31 a.m., High was at Hoboken University Medical Center being treated for injuries he sustained from a physical altercation that occurred in the area of 5th and Jackson Streets.

As a result of the altercation, High was charged with disorderly conduct. Once he was medically cleared, Officers John Herman, Christopher Barral, and Joseph Spano advised High that he was being placed under arrest for the previous warrant and disorderly conduct.

He resisted by putting a mobile medicine cabinet between himself and the officers. Once the officers removed the barrier, they attempted to place handcuffs on High. However, he continued to resist by using force against the arresting officers and making threats.

Once High was placed in handcuffs, he was transported to police headquarters for processing. At headquarters, he refused to be fingerprinted and photographed.

The led to the additional charges of aggravated assault on police officers, terroristic threats, and refusal to be fingerprinted and photographed. After processing,High was committed to the Hudson County Correctional Facility, police said.

Between August 2016 and January 2017, there are at least three documented instances of High being arrested for street fighting – two of which that occurred within one week of each other.