Hoboken man charged with endangerment can’t have contact with son until case resolved


A Hoboken man charged with endangering the welfare of a child after an hours-long standoff with local police and the Hudson County Regional SWAT Team last week can’t have contact with his five-year-old son until his case is resolved in court, public records show.

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

According to slightly redacts logs from the Hoboken Police Department’s Computer-Aided Dispatch (CAD) system obtained through an Open Public Records Act request, the “mother was given restrictions by the DCCP (state Department of Child Protection and Permanency) that the father is to have no contact with the child pending any court dates.”

While HCV sought any police reports, police radio transmissions, and other public records pertaining to the October 16th incident, further documents were denied due to a juvenile being involved and criminal investigatory records being exempt from OPRA requests, according to the city’s clerk’s office.

Shortly before 7 p.m. on Friday, the Hudson County Regional SWAT team entered the home near 8th and Garden Streets and safely removed a five-year-old boy after nearly four hours of police activity.

“The most important thing that happened here today: it was patience, there was communications done, utilizations of any resource that we had, and amazingly, with as much concern as we had going into 7 p.m., we got this five-year-old out safely and we have somebody in custody … safely,” Police Chief Kenneth Ferrante said at the time.

The man who was arrested has previously been identified as Michael Marshalek, one of several who angrily spoke out against a proposed ordinance that would enable a $250 fine for not wearing a face mask at the August 19th city council meeting.

The measure was ultimately voted down by a tally of 6-3.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/hcvcp/public_html/wp-content/themes/Hudson County View/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 353