The North Bergen and Union City Police Departments are holding a driving while intoxicated checkpoint at an undisclosed location on Thanksgiving Eve, one of the biggest party nights of the year.
By John Heinis/Hudson County View
The North Bergen and Union City Police Departments are partnering up with the to hold a DWI checkpoint the night before Thanksgiving: Wednesday November 22. The operation hopes to eliminate intoxicated drivers on the road and help keep local residents safe.
“With the holidays around the corner, we want to ensure that everyone gets home safe,” North Bergen Police Chief Robert Dowd said in a statement.
“The North Bergen Police Department is dedicated to making our roads and neighborhoods safer. By implementing sobriety checkpoints, we are doing our part to make sure everyone has a safe holiday season.”
Those who will be out celebrating are advised by the department to follow these few tips:
· Designate a driver who will not drink alcohol.
· Take public transportation or use a taxi service.
· If traveling on foot ask a sober friend to drive you to your doorstep.
· If possible spend the night where the activity is held.
· Help report impaired or aggressive drivers to local law enforcement officers
· Remember to always buckle up regardless of where seated in a car.